SURF BioNet InformationThe SURF BioNET site introduces UREKA students to the importance and benefit of interdisciplinary research in biomedical science and engineering. Participants are exposed to the interdisciplinary environment of the NCBES and REMEDI. By offering projects focused on different diseases and conditions, using different approaches to investigate, understand and ultimately treat major diseases, the students have an opportunity to see how the work they do is applicable in a wide variety of areas.
The chosen students are not only integrated members of the research teams within the NCBES, they also have specifically tailored courses provided for them and are actively involved in academic and social activities with the Centre researchers. A calender of social events is organised for the students starting with a trip to the Aran Islands, and including a barbeque and a series of social events in Galway city. The social events involve students from other UREKA sites at NUI Galway, including the Infectious Disease UREKA site based in the Microbiology Department.
What participants will receive:
- Involvement in an interdisciplinary research project with a team where researchers are working together to solve a common science problem.
- An interactive poster session at the end of the summer, where they present their results to the NCBES, REMEDI and NUI Galway research community
- Lectures on ethics, communications skills, and research areas
- Professional skills courses
- A stipend of €300 per week for the twelve week program.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to €300 EU and €800 outside of EU.
- A series of social events and trips around Galway.
What is expected from the participants:
- To devote 37.5 hours per week to the programme.
- To attend the regular Centre Research Seminars, and workshops and Lectures in the programme
- To participate in a Research Symposium at the end of the programme. Participation includes giving a presentation and preparing a poster for the symposium
- To submit a 2 page research report
- To submit a one page report of how the participation in the programme has been of benefit
To find out about the experience of previous UREKA students, and view samples of their posters and presentations, visit the UREKA 2007, 2008 and 2009 sections.